Bringing together frontrunner companies and governments to accelerate the transition towards a European circular plastics economy.
The European Plastics Pact
Despite the many benefits plastics provide us, we face a huge challenge in reducing our plastic wastage and littering. To face this challenge, the European Plastics Pact accelerates the shift toward the reuse and recycling of single-use plastic products and packaging.
The Pact brings together governments and frontrunners from across the whole value chain. They work together towards four goals aimed at design, responsible use, recycling capacity and the use of recycled content. The Pact supports this work by offering a unique platform to exchange ideas, display good practices and discuss challenges, needed to build a new circular default for all to follow.
The Netherlands and France started this initiative, but over eighty other organisations (governments, companies, non-governmental organisations and business associations) from across Europe helped to shape the final text of the European Plastics Pact.
European Plastics Pact – Next steps
- The first round of expert Working Group meetings was successfully held on March 6, 2020 in Brussels. Report to follow soon.
- A second round of expert Working Group meetings is planned before the summer holidays (expected in June)
- The First Annual Meeting will be organized in on October 8, 2020
Current progress on getting the Pact organized
- The steering committee will be elected at the first Annual Meeting
- WRAP Global will take the role as secretariat of the European Plastics Pact, organizing working group meetings and the annual meetings, and managing monitoring and reporting
- For the first year at least until december 2020, the secretariat will be financed by a number of European countries.
- For any questions please contact us at: email@example.com